Answer: Use the following article databases to locate book reviews:
1. Use BASIC SEARCH, SUBJECT STARTING WITH...
2. Type the name of the author [of the book to be reviewed], last name first, in the SEARCH FOR box. The results list will specify the title of the book reviewed, followed by (Review) or (ביקורת).
Although the results list may list both English and Hebrew reviews, to be absolutely sure you retrieve all the reviews search twice: once spelling the author's name in English, and a second time spelling the author's name in Hebrew.
ATLA/ATLAS Religion Database:
1. Use ADVANCED SEARCH
2. Type the author's last name in the first text box [author of the book to be reviewed]
3. Type the first few words of the title in the second text box
1. Choose BROWSE JOURNALS tab
2. Choose BROWSE SUBJECT HEADINGS FOR ARTICLES from left-hand margin of screen
3. Type the author's last name, comma, first name in the text box [author of the book to be reviewed]
The results list will specify the author & titles of each book reviewed, followed by the number of reviews.
INDEX to JEWISH PERIODICALS:
1. Type short title of the book in the text box
1. Use ADVANCED SEARCH (Mouse over search option to reveal Advanced Search)
2. In the text box, type: rt: "short title of the book whose review you want"
Be sure to include the colon after rt, and put the title in quotes.
3. If you retrieve reviews of various books with the same title, you can also type, in the next text box:
ra: last name of author of book whose reviews you want.
For example, if you want reviews of Moshe Idel's book Kabbalah: New Perspectives, in the first text box type:
rt: "Kabbalah New Perspectives"
In the second text box type:
Click on the image below to enlarge it
Please access these subscription databases from our Online Resources pages (when on campus) or via Remote Access when off campus, using your JTS email ID and password. Rambi is freely available to all, courtesy of the Jewish National Library in Jerusalem.